
Friday, March 11, 2005
a place to organize research on the 1970 bombing of Sterling Hall, Univ. of Wisc.-Madison
Previous Posts
Author's NotesThis weblog is a collection of information and links about the 1970 bombing of Sterling Hall at Univ. Wisc.-Madison. I'm considering a larger project. I started out with a play (2003) called Turning Point, which I now know has some incorrect facts and details, but which was in fact a very successful play, enjoyed by both participants and audience.
It was from this experience that I realized that this was a lively topic, an important one, and that this bombing represented something in the history of the midwest and the vietnam protest experience that was worth exploring. It's in this interest that I start this research.
My thesis is basically that the bombing played an important role in the change of the movement at that time, if only in Madison (it got very little press elsewhere, but seems to have been strongly noticed by Washington)...but rather than taking a strong stand on how important it was, I thought I'd just investigate exactly what its role was: how did it change people's view of the protests? In what ways was history altered permanently?
My interest is historical although I think it could make a gripping story, a book you wouldn't want to put down. I was deeply impressed by Michael Morris' book but don't want to cover exactly the same ground- he did a good job with most of the details, though. My own approach would be similar in one way though: I'd want to offer those who help me, and talk to me, the opportunity to read what I write before it's published. This I think gives the project an integrity that is worth exploring.
If you know anything about the Madison bombing and would like to share it, I'd love to talk to you. For this project, I consider myself a historian, neutral, interested in the truth from all perspectives. I would appreciate your sincere help and comments on the material. Please write me.
Thomas Leveett, Carbondale IL, Mar. 2005


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home